How to Successfully Move to America with Family in 2024, even if you are broke!

Moving to America (United States of America) is a major life decision that requires serious planning and preparation. Whether you are looking for work, education, family reunification, or simply a new experience, coming to the United States entails a number of stages and decisions. In this blog, we will provide a detailed guide on moving to America. Determine Your ability: Before making any specific preparations, it’s important to confirm your ability to relocate to the United States. Moving to a new country can be costly, and therefore, you need to take time and reorganise your finances if necessary. People who move to America on work visa may have the option to allow the main applicant to travel first and the family to follow. However, if you win a greencard, the whole family must travel at the same time. There are several immigration paths, each with its own set of requirements. Common choices are as follows: Family Sponsorship: If you have close relatives who are United States citizens or permanent residents, they can sponsor you for immigration. Close relatives includes your spouse or underage children. Children may also sponsor their grandparents if they can prove relations. Employment-Based Immigration: Many people come to the United States seeking job prospects. Employers can sponsor foreign workers for certain employment positions. The best work visa to use to move to the United States is the H1B visa, which potentially allows you to legally apply for a green card after filling out your tax for a period of three years. Diversity Visa Lottery: The United States conducts an annual Diversity Visa Lottery programme that allows people from qualified countries to apply for green cards. The Diversity Visa lottery is a free program that does not require applicants to make any payments. However, if you win, you will definitely incur some costs that necessitate your travel to the United States of America. Student Visas: If you intend to study in the United States, you can apply for a student visa. Before applying for a visa, however, you will need to apply to a college or university. Colleges, especially community colleges in America, are much cheaper compared to starting straight at a university. The majority of immigrants prefer to start at a community college for two years, then move to a university for the last two years to complete their studies. Please note that you are free to go for the option that works best for you. Investment Visas: If you have enough money to invest in a U.S. firm, you may be eligible for an investment visa. You may also start a new business in America and move your family into the country using the investment visa. Asylum or Refugee Status: Those who are persecuted or seeking refuge can petition for asylum or refugee status. Asylum seeking is a good option for those who are scared of going back to their home country for various reasons for instance, having a different political opinion or being part of a gay community. Being part of a gay community still remains illegal in some of the African countries. Special Programmes: There are programmes designed specifically for people with unique abilities or backgrounds, such as the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Programme. Research Your Destination: The US is a big country with many regions, each with unique opportunities and lifestyles. Research and choose your destination based on job markets, cost of living, climate, and cultural interests. For example, California is known for its warm weather and expensive lifestyle. Many top celebrities live in California. Oregon, however, is known for its rainy weather for most months of the year, so older people tend to choose Oregon for retirement. Find Work: Start your job hunt early if you intend to work in the United States. Networking, using internet job boards, and contacting potential employers can all help you find new employment. Ensure that your qualifications and credentials are recognised in the United States. If your credentials are not recognized in the United States, you may have to send your papers for verification. Remember never to share your passport details unless you are sure you have gotten the job and are working on the final stages of your employment. Financial Preparedness: Moving to a new nation can be costly. Make a budget that covers visa fees, travel expenses, accommodation, insurance, and basic living expenses. Having reserves or financial support is essential during the change. If you save up enough finances to support yourself for at least six months as you try to settle in America, that will be great. Having enough resources will give you the humble time to search and only accept the job offer that makes sense to you. Plan Accommodation: Find a place to stay before your arrival. You can rent a flat, a house, or look into temporary housing choices like hotels or Airbnb until you’re situated. You will save some money if you can find a family member or a close friend to host you when you arrive for a few months. If a friend accepts to host you, do not feel too comfortable. Try to contribute something little, even food or cleaning and making meals around the house. A kind gesture may motivate your host to keep you around for a longer period until you can find your way around. Health Insurance: Healthcare in the United States can be expensive. Secure health insurance coverage for yourself and your family. Many employers provide health insurance benefits to their employees. When you get a job offer, make sure you check, or rather confirm, that you are being offered health insurance both for yourself and your family. Some companies offer insurance for the main applicant only and not the family. Make your choices wisely. Legal Documentation: Bring any relevant documents, such as your passport, visa, birth certificates, marriage certificates (if applicable), and educational or professional certifications. Ensure that your passport does not expire too soon. If you have about five months to

Akot TV provides researched blogs however, you are advised to do your own research and consult with legal counsel.